Saturday, November 19, 2011

DIY

Mr. Blonde and I went out to dinner last night, as young couples are wont to do. It's a really good place, I love it there, but it's a little hard to describe. There are white tablecloths, cloth napkins, and a guy designated to pour water for you when you sit down, but it's not a really upscale place. People go there in diner attire. Hard to explain, and probably irrelevant to the story, but very curious.

Anyway, we had our dinner but alas, could not finish our entrees. We requested boxes. Our server (who was a little overbearing, but I could tell she meant well) boxed up our leftovers for us at the table.
I, personally, don't like that. A) She was all up in my personal space. B) I prefer to put it in the box myself, because I am controlling and also I didn't want her all up in my personal space AND my food.
Depending on how mouthy I am feeling that day, I will usually speak up and say something like, "Oh, I prefer to do it myself." Although on the inside I am screaming, "OH MY GOD JUST LET ME DO IT AND GO AWAY."

It just got me thinking. Some of the girls at my restaurant will take plates off the table (I don't know if they ask the customer's preference first) and box it up nearby. Some people (myself included) will just place the boxes on the table and let the customer handle it.

I understand the reasoning behind this practice, you're out at our business, let us serve you, don't lift a finger, blah blah blah. But I personally just don't like it. I wish they would say, "Would you like ME to box that up for you?" instead of just thrusting your boobs in my face as you grab my plate.

Thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. it also depends on the policy at work. i work in a restaurant where we are supposed to do it for the customers at the table side...i still ask though because their are some people who are touchy about their food being touched

    ReplyDelete
  2. @A
    Good point! Control freaks/weirdos like myself appreciate you asking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it would be nice to ask 'would you like me to box it or do you want me to bring you a box' - that way the customer can decide. Sometimes I only want one thing off the plate to go home, sometimes everything - but it's nice to offer. (most places do now)

    ReplyDelete