Saturday, March 24, 2012

How does working in a restaurant affect your weight?

I've found in my diner it can go one of two ways.
You can't resist all the goodies that are right in front of you, and you gain weight by eating french fries and chicken fingers and rice pudding. It's so much easier and cheaper to grab a cheesesteak at work then wait till you get home and cook something healthier.
Or, you don't eat at work and all the running around takes a few pounds off.

Working in the restaurant hurt me so much a few years back, when I was going through some personal issues and cheered myself up by emotional over-eating.
It took me almost two years, but I've recently gotten to my goal weight through sheer willpower at work (and obviously the exercise). I'm afraid that I'm going to be complacent now that I am happy with my weight, and be a little lax about what I put in my body (food-wise, you perverts).

How has working in a restaurant affected your weight and eating habits? Did you put on any poundage, or lose any? How do you avoid binges?

9 comments:

  1. I've not put on weight since beginning work at a restaurant (at least, not weight that I can rightfully attribute to my place of employment) but I do think it helps manage my weight. I was on dance team in high school, but didn't have a replacement for that level of activity when I got into college. I've gained about 10-15 pounds since then, but it's remained steady at that weight through 3 different restaurants.

    If I didn't wait tables I suspect I'd be chubby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The exercise is great and I could burn off the french dip or rueben with fries I ate everyday. It always balanced out. It helps if you are fit like you are because muscle helps burn calories.

    Our bartender [in her mid 30s then 40s when I worked with her] would eat anything in sight, all the time,but still maintained a perfect figure. Her legs were knockouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're busy, it's great! It just stinks when you're slow.. and you're bored so you eat... and don't get any exercise to burn it off!

      Delete
    2. Too true, but I would be unable to keep a job long if we were slow that often for me to notice I wasn't burning calories.

      I cannot stand being bored/idle. And we were paid server wage too, but I would go clean something if we were slow, just to keep busy. I know technically I wasn't being paid the higher rate to clean the walk in or get ice for the bartender - but I figured I was there anyway, why not? :)

      Delete
  3. You have to avoid the fries, it will always get you. I have had periods when i was stressed at work and i would always eat the worst food from the kitchen and put on weight. The worst thing is that once you start it is always in front of you, beckoning for one more mouthful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly. when I went in yesterday they had just made fresh fries... and put out fresh chili... ugh!

      Delete
  4. I lost all of my leftover pregnancy weight from quitting a grocery store job and going back to waiting tables. About thirty five pounds in just a few months. When my store first opened, we were too busy literally running our asses off to eat! LOL

    ReplyDelete