Friday, April 22, 2011

I have done a bad thing.

I was supposed to work yesterday, covering a shift for someone. I put it in my phone as next week somehow, and went on my merry way.
I was a half hour away, about to order dinner, when one of the girls is texting me, "you're supposed to be here tonight, aren't you?" And I'm like.... "uh, no, that's next week."
Well, it wasn't. She sent me a little picture of the calendar where it says "Blondie 4-close."
I'm thinking "fuuuuuuuck I'm an asshole."
But I'm also thinking "fuuuuuuck that I'm not ditching my dinner to go in there."
So I tell her sorry, but I'm not going to be able to make it. What should I do?

The manager for the night calls me. She's saying I can't leave her hanging on a Thursday night, I just CAN'T. You would think working with one less girl is truly the end of the world.
I'm apologizing, saying it was my mistake, but I'm not going to be able to come in. I ask her, "What do you want me to do?"
She responds, "Don't do anything, how about that?" And hangs up on me.

Okay, that was a dick move. I was apologetic, I was completely prepared for her to tell me to start calling people to come in, or tell me to finish my dinner and come in late because someone needed to close. But she opted for a smart-ass remark and a childish hang-up (and I'm 100% sure a lot of shit-talking to whoever would listen), and that shit ain't cool. I felt bad before that, and now I'm just pissed. And I'll tell her that if she has anything to say today.
I know it was my mistake and she was understandably upset, but it was just that: a mistake. And everyone who knows me know I would never do anything like that on purpose. I love making money. I'm always coming in early, staying late, covering shifts. I'm a model freaking employee.

Am I completely wrong?

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you could put yourself in her shoes for a moment and realize how often this sort of thing happens to her - no call/no shows, call ins at th last minute for sickness/"death"/hangover/want to party - and she was understandably upset that you accidently forgot you had to work a shift you picked up.

    And maybe you weren't the only one that wasn't showing up for a shift and she was shorter handed than you knew.

    Once you discovered that you messed up the days you probably should've called your boss and not just texted back to your co worker.

    Hope she's not still mad at you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @SkippyMom you are totally right! I appreciate the input from an outside source. I already made up my mind to apologize profusely, but tell her how her actions made me feel.

    ReplyDelete