Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Do I need to see a therapist?

I've found over the years that I am completely at home calling men "sir."
"What would you like to drink, sir?"
"Have you decided, sir?"
"Sir, do you think my tip will be more than ten percent or should I just give up now?"

However, I find myself very uncomfortable calling women "ma'am" or "madam" or even "miss." Can't do it.
"And are.... you.... ready?"

Am I putting feminism back ten years every time I do this? Am I the only one? Should I examine my relationship with my parents?

4 comments:

  1. What you need is a good hard lay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read where some women are offended by any of those while guys don't mind. Perhaps you could come up with something more generic and feminine (sorry, no ideas)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anonymous, what in the hell does that have to do with anything??
    To Blondie: As a fellow woman in customer service, I usually go with ma'am for women. "Madam" makes me want to continue the sentence in French, and "Miss" feels weird to me... I also don't personally like being called miss, because to me it implies that I'm terribly young. I would rather my waiter/tress call me ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i feel the same way about women, actually.

    however i do generalize for women and just call the ll 'miss'. the old biddies love it, and its not offensive to the younger ladies.

    xo zoe

    ReplyDelete